Monday, November 30, 2009

Coastal Scents' Brushguard Dupe

Ho ho ho and only RM6 for ten, including postage!

For those who are wondering what the Brushguard is, well, it's a stiff netting that's slipped over cosmetic brushes to keep them in shape.
The Brush Guard is a stretchable, breathable tube which protects your makeup brushes in the following ways:
  • While drying - bristles dry in perfect shape
  • In use - handle stays clean and grips better
  • In storage - no snags or squashing
  • On the move - perfect packing

Or so the people at Coastal Scents say.

IMO, they are only great for drying (they are stiff enough to allow your brushes to stand bristles down. Let gravity pull all that water away baybeh!) and to an extent, for storage (the Brushguard itself will squash the bristles a little, but nothing a little pre-brush on your palm won't fix).

I don't have it on when I'm using my brushes because I find them terribly slippery and they are not very comfortable to hold. Neither do I love to use them for travel as if the Brushguard is accidentally moved the wrong direction (towards the handle instead of towards the bristles) then the bristles will get caught in the Brushguard's holes and spoil your brush even more.


Brush Net (far left) and Brushguards in Large, Medium, Small and Extra Small.
 
The good thing about Coastal Scents's Brushguard is that they come in various sizes, so you can get ones that fit your kabuki to your eyeliner brush. If you're earning in $ or £, the price is reasonable too, with each pack going for only $4.95.

It sucks though when you're not earning in $ but in RM, and it sucks even more when your "earnings" is actually your allowance and it's barely enough (for now, not enough) to cover your daily expenses. The cheapest way Malaysians can get their hands on the Brushguard is by joining sprees, but the cheapest quotation I've ever gotten was RM25.90 per pack.

I'm such a cheap bastard bitch when it comes to these kinda things that I've Googled multiple times on how to make the Brushguard or to find dupes of it that is cheaper and locally available. Nothing I found was even worth trying to make. Plastic covers made with sellotape and poked with holes? Ha ha ha yea right.

And then one day, I came across a thread on Lowyat's forum created by Shizuru. She was selling dupes of the Brushguard she dubbed the Brush Net priced at RM2 for 5 or RM3 for 10 plus another RM3 for shipping. That's less than $2 or a little more than £1 whatthefish!

Not wanting to to waste money (Hey, RM6 is a whole meal for me ok) I thought of waiting for others to buy and review it before I buy them myself but since no one did and I was getting impatient my 11 ELF brushes are coming soon, I decided what the heck, I'll be the first to try them la.

Good thing I was. Shizuru gave them to me for free, so I only had to pay RM3 for shipping. =D

The Brush Nets came only in one size though, which is the same size as the Medium Brushguards but shorter (It's only 3.5" long)

 Brush Net's on the left, while the right is the Brushguard in Medium.

Material wise, the Brush Net is much much softer than the Brushguard, which has its pros and cons. As for the design, although it's the same shape and (almost) size as the Brushguard, the Brush Net isn't interwoven strands but more fused together, like the foam netting they put over fruits to prevent bruising during travel.

 
Coastal Scents' Brushguard

 
Shizuru's Brush Net

The good:

The Brush Net is much softer than the Brushguard so it's more comfortable to hold and it doesn't snag against fabric. There was so many occassions where I was afraid the Brushguard will snag on my brushcase and destroy it, but with the Brush Net, no more worries! =D

Since the material is softer, it's also more one-size-fits-all as it's much more stretchy than the Brushguard. The Brush Net can fit even my ELF Studio Kabuki where the Brushguard (in Medium) can't even hold my ELF Studio Powder brush.

ELF Kabuki with Brushguard in Large, other brushes using the medium Brushguard


Brings new meaning to Free Size.

It also fit my ELF Studio blush brush better than the Brushguard (in Medium). For that brush, I have to use the Brushguard in Small although it's a little too small for my brush as the one in Medium is muuch too big. With the Brush Net, it sticks to the handle and ferrule but expands enough not to squash the bristles.

Ill fitting Brushguard


What happens when I try to force my brush into the Small Brushguard


Perfect fit with the Brush Net

Cons:
Because the material for the Brush Net is so soft, it's impossible to stand your brush bristle side down to dry after washing. The Brush Net will just give way, whereas you can do so with the Brushguard.

Also, because of the softness, the brush's bristles might stick out a little. At first I thought it was just my kabuki (same thing happened with the Brushguard) but it happened to my other brushes as well when I used the Brush Net. Nothing major, the sticking-out-ness is so minor that I couldn't even take a picture of it, but it's there. This problem doesn't occur for brushes that taper though, only those that puff out like my kabuki and flat top.

Overall:
I'll definitely be getting the Brush Net instead of the Brushguard in the future (unless I need it for eyebrushes. The Brush Net will be too big for them). It's much much cheaper than the Brushguard and works almost as well. I can always just lay my brushes flat in the Brush Net when drying as I occasionally do now, and the bristles that stick out isn't something that will bug me, not for now at least.

For Malaysians who don't and won't create a Lowyat forum account, I suggest you do as that little time spent is well worth it. For non-Malaysians, too bad. =P. Nah I'm not so evil. Will think of something if there's enough response to make overseas shipping worth it. =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home